Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday revealed that fraudsters have approached him for money to negotiate the release of the kidnapped Chibok girls.
“While the rescue and safe return of the remaining Chibok girls remains a top priority of his administration, he will not fall for the antics of fraudsters,” his spokesman, Femi Adesina, said.
Adesina said Buhari spoke during a meeting with archbishops of the Church of Nigeria.
“President Buhari said that his administration will continue to insist on a thorough authentication of the identities and bona fides of any persons or groups claiming to have custody of the girls before entering into negotiations with them,” he said
The first of the 219 girls held captive since the mass kidnapping in April 2014 to be found alive was discovered last month. A second girl was rescued days later, although campaigners said she was taken in a separate abduction.