It is one of the pillar of Islam for a Muslim to believe in the Prophets. These Prophets includes Adam, Nuh (Noah), Ibrahim (Abraham), Musa (Moses), Isma’eel (Ishmael), Ishaq (Isaac), Yaqoob (Jacob), Ayyob (Job), Yoonus (Jonah), Haroon (Aaron), Sulaiman (Solomon), Dawud (David), Idrees (Enoch), Dhul Kifl (Isaiah), Lut (Lot), Zakariyya (Zachariah), Ilyaas (Elijah), Al-Yasa (Elisha), Yahya (John), ‘Eesa (Jesus) and Muhammad (Peace be upon them all). And the knowledge of their numbers belongs only to Allah! We believe all of them were sent by Allah to certain set of people or community. Some were given Inspired Books like Torah (Musa), Zabur (Dawud) Injeel (‘Eesa), Qur’an (Muhammad), etc.
We believe whatever had been narrated concerning the Prophets in our Books.
Anything outside these:
i. will be true if confirmed by the Qur’an or Sunnah,
ii. will be False if rejected by the Qur’an or Sunnah.
iii. may be doubtful and should be disregarded.
Muslims should not believe all the narrations about previous Prophets they hear/read except it is in line with the Qur’an and Sunnah.
Examples of these narrations includes:
1. Noah became drunk with wine till he became Unclad. ( A Prophet can not drink wine or behave this way. This happened after the flood. )
2. David saw beautiful Bathsheba while bathing. He then brought her to himself and laid with her. He later killed her husband(Uriah) so that he could marry her. ( A Prophet that was inspired by God can not commit adultery, murder or covet other’s wife. These are grave sins. Prophet Dawud used to fast one day and eat the next. Moreover Jesus was usually called the son of David. Is it this same David?)
3. Abraham wanted to sacrifice Isaac. (In Islam, it was Ishmael his first son he wanted to sacrifice)
4. After the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah Lot’s two daughters made their father drunk and then slept with him in turns over two consecutive nights! (Prophet Lut can not be involved in incestuous rape. This could not have happened as it would defeat the reason why they were saved from the destruction. God saved them from homosexuality only for them to embrace incest. This is impossible.) Incest is greater than Homo)
5. Crucifixion of Jesus and his claim of divinity or being God. (The Qur’an says Prophet “Eesa was not Cruxified. He was a man strengthened with the Spirit. Follow this link to see what Muslims believe about Jesus
Prophets are honorable people who are to be role models for people sometimes even beyond their times. Hence they are protected from some grave mistakes as highlighted above.
Other examples are found below from my honored Bro AbdulHakeem44.